Drug updated on 11/1/2023
|Capsules (oral: 20 mg, 40 mg) Oral suspension (oral: 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, and 40 mg)
|Proton pump inhibitor (PPI)
| Ongoing and
- NEXIUM delayed-release capsules and NEXIUM for delayed-release oral suspension are indicated for the:
- Short-term treatment in the healing of erosive esophagitis (EE) in adults and pediatric patients 12 years to 17 years of age.
- Maintenance of healing of EE in adults.
- Short-term treatment of heartburn and other symptoms associated GERD in adults and pediatric patients 12 years to 17 years of age.
- Risk reduction of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID)-associated gastric ulcer in adults at risk for developing gastric ulcers due to age (60 years and older) and/or documented history of gastric ulcers.
- Helicobacter pylori eradication in adult patients to reduce the risk of duodenal ulcer recurrence in combination with amoxicillin and clarithromycin.
- Long-term treatment of pathological hypersecretory conditions, including Zollinger-Ellison syndrome in adults.
- NEXIUM for delayed-release oral suspension is indicated for the:
- Short-term treatment in the healing of EE in pediatric patients 1 year to 11 years of age and of EE due to acid-mediated GERD in pediatric patients 1 month to less than 1 year of age.
- Short-term treatment of heartburn and other symptoms associated with GERD in pediatric patients 1 year to 11 years of age.
Product Monograph / Prescribing Information
|Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium) Prescribing Information.
|AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP Wilmington, DE
Systematic Reviews / Meta-Analyses
|Network meta-analysis of different dosages of esomeprazole and rabeprazole for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori.
|Comparison of acid-lowering drugs for endoscopy negative reflux disease: systematic review and network meta-analysis.
|Neurogastroenterology & Motility
|Different dose of new generation proton pump inhibitors for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection: a meta-analysis.
|International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology
|Efficacy and safety of esomeprazole for the treatment of reflux symptoms in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis
|Iranian Journal of Public Health
|Treatment of laryngopharyngeal reflux disease: a systematic review.
|World Journal of Clinical Cases
|Vonoprazan versus proton-pump inhibitors for healing gastroesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review.
|Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology